This Mexican Caeser salad is to die for. It’s ten times better than El Torito’s, guaranteed.
Hands down, it’s my husband’s favorite salad. I only make it on special occasions due to the higher fat content, but ooooooh, it’s worth it. (You can blame the Cojita cheese!) Just plan a bit more time on the treadmill that morning…
And be sure to try the go-to classic Caeser dressing for a yummy salad any day of the week.
And a special thanks to my talented mom-by-marriage, Geri Centonze for her beautiful food photography.
- 3 Anaheim green chilies rubbed with a bit of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup pepitas, roasted
- 5 oz Cotija cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 3 bunches cilantro, leaves only
- 2 oz red wine vinegar
- 4 oz avocado oil
- 4 oz water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce, chopped and dried
- 5 oz Cojita cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 cups freshly fried strips of corn tortillas
- Food Processor
- Turn on broiler to low and roast green chilies for about 10-15 minutes, turning on occasion, until blistered.
- Cover chilies with foil or place in paper bag and seal to let steam for 5 minutes.
- Peel off skin and seed chilies once cool to the touch.
- Place peeled/seeded chilies, pepitas, Cotija cheese and garlic. Pulse to process.
- Add mayonnaise, yogurt, cilantro, red wine vinegar, oil, water, salt and pepper. Process until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, add lettuce, cheese, bell pepper, tortilla strips and dressing.
- Toss and enjoy.
- This recipe is inspired by a former mentor, amazing chef and teacher Jill Bosich.
- Kcal 267 | Fat 28g | Sat Fat 4g | Chol 5mg | Sodium 317mg | Carb 1g | Fiber 1g | Sugar 0g | Protein 3g
Share This Article