I am always on the lookout for awesome vegetarian recipes. Chris is a big meat lover, so I know I’ve found a good one when he is satisfied with my meatless Monday meals. This Creamy Cilantro Bean Casserole is inspired from a recipe found in the book, The Best 125 Meatless Main Dishes by Mindy Toomay and Susann Geiskopf-Hadler, which I actually found on my Papa’s bookshelf before he passed.
This Bean Casserole is Packed with
Perfect for a weeknight meal or great as leftovers for lunch, it’s healthy, satisfying and not heavy. Filled with wild rice, multiple types of beans, cottage cheese and greek yogurt, this creamy, healthy casserole packs a punch of protein with 19g per serving! (Equivalent to about 3 eggs!) On top of it, per serving, there are 8 grams of fiber and only 2g of fat when using non-fat greek yogurt and 1% cottage cheese.
Great For Kids
Not only does Chris love this recipe, it’s a favorite of the babe’s. It is appropriate to start feeding this dish to babies doing baby-led weaning as young as 8 months. And kids of all ages will love this as well.
If you are looking to incorporate meatless dishes into your weekly routine, are attempting to lose weight or just enjoy amazing, healthy food, this casserole is for you! Enjoy this recipe and pass along to friends; everyone needs to know how good healthy food can be.
- 1 cup dried wild rice
- 5 chopped green onions
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- 1 pint cottage cheese
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans your choice of beans (kidney, black, red, garbanzo), rinsed and drained (3.5 cups if using home cooked beans)
- 13x9 glass baking dish
- Small saute pan
- Cook wild rice according to package directions. (Likely 4 cups of water to 1 cup rice for 40 minutes.)
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Heat butter in small saute pan over medium heat. Add green onions and cook for a couple minutes until fragrant. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add cottage cheese, yogurt, cilantro, garlic, Worcestershire and hot sauce, salt, pepper, broth and sauteed green onions. Stir.
- Add cooked rice, stir together and set aside.
- PAM 13x9 baking dish.
- Spread evenly half of the rice mixture on the bottom of the 13x9.
- Layer in all beans.
- Top with remaining rice mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes until the edges are a bit browned.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Great for kids and babies 8 months and older doing baby-led weaning.
- Inspired by The Best 125 Meatless Main Dishes by Mindy Toomay & Susann Geiskopf-Hadler.
- Kcal 234 | Fat 2g | Sat Fat 1g | Chol 5mg | Sodium 484mg | Carb 35g | Fiber 8g | Sugar 3g | Protein 19g
Share This Article