If you’re looking for the perfect roasted asparagus recipe, look no further. But first, a few fun facts. Surprise! Asparagus is a member of the Lily family. Did you know an asparagus spear can grow up to ten inches in a 24 hour period!? What!? And purchasing a plant to grow at home in sandy soil is greatly worth your money, for one plant can last up to 15 years, if well cared for. (1) How’s that for some trivia knowledge!?
Asparagus is a low carb, low calorie, low fat, high fiber, tasty veggie. It gets to be recognized as one of the top vegetables with the highest amount of folic acid. Plus, award-winning features of the asparagus’ resume include a pretty decent amount of vitamin B6, thiamin and potassium. But most importantly, Glutathione is present in high amounts. What’s that? It’s a compound made of three amino acids (the building blocks of protein) that is credited as being the most abundant free-radical scavenger made in the human body. (2) (3)
Eating asparagus raw will give you the most amounts of glutathione, however, I’m not a huge raw veggie kind of gal. That is, unless I’ve got a huge bowl of hummus or other fattening dip to smother them in. What I do like is perfectly cooked, sweet roasted asparagus. And no, I will never be caught dead eating one that’s been canned or previously frozen…mushy yuck.
Fortunately, asparagus has made the top 15 list of cleanest produce in 2015! So that means there are minimal pesticide residues on non-organic spears. Bottom line: don’t waste your money on organic asparagus!
In my humble opinion, there are only two ways to cook asparagus, on the BBQ or in the oven. Both yield the same effect: roasted perfection. It brings out the sweet flavor and gives this veggie some depth. So, put away that pot of boiling water, close the microwave door and crank up your oven. Your family will thank you for serving them this low carb side dish that goes with just about anything.
Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- 1 bunch Medium-sized asparagus
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry asparagus spears.
- Cut the bottom 2 inches off the spear (it's woody and not good eats).
- Place on a well-used sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Massage the oil and spices all over each spear.
- Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until tips are slightly browned, turning once.
- 1. You can add any spices you like in addition to the salt and pepper before roasting.
- 2. On occasion, I like to sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the top during the last 5-10 minutes of roasting. If you choose to do this, use 1/4 teaspoon salt only, as Parmesan is salty.
- 3. If you are using this recipe for baby, just use a small sprinkling of salt on their portion.
- 79 kcal | Fat 7g | Sat Fat 1g | Chol 0mg | Sodium 199mg | Carb 4g | Fiber 2g | Sugar 2g | Pro 2g
Share This Article